What is Resource Onboarding Time?
Resource onboarding time refers to the duration it takes to integrate a new resource, whether it’s an employee, tool, or system, into an organization’s existing workflow.
In the context of Professional Service Automation (PSA), it’s the time taken to ensure that the new resource is fully functional, trained, and contributing to the organization’s objectives.
Importance of Resource Onboarding Time
Efficient resource onboarding is crucial for several reasons:
1. Operational Efficiency: A shorter onboarding time means resources can start contributing faster, enhancing the organization’s productivity.
2. Cost Savings: Prolonged onboarding can be expensive. Quick integration can save costs related to training and lost productivity.
3. Client Satisfaction: In a PSA context, when resources are onboarded efficiently, projects can commence and progress without unnecessary delays, leading to improved client satisfaction.
Why Resource onboarding time is so important?
How to Calculate Resource Onboarding Time?
Resource Onboarding Time = Date of Full Resource Integration−Resource Start Date
If an employee starts on January 1st and is fully integrated and productive by January 15th, the onboarding time is:
Difference Between Resource Onboarding Time and Other Metrics
Resource onboarding time is often confused with related metrics, such as training duration or time-to-productivity. However, there are key distinctions:
1. Training Duration: Refers to the time taken to train a resource. While training is a part of onboarding, onboarding might include other aspects like cultural assimilation or system integration.
2. Time-to-Productivity: This is the time taken for a new resource to perform at the expected level. It’s possible for a resource to be onboarded but still take time to reach optimal productivity levels.
|Resource Onboarding Time
|Other Metrics in PSA
|The time it takes to onboard a new resource (employee or contractor) and make them fully productive within the organization.
|Various metrics that track the performance, efficiency, and profitability of professional service operations.
|Primarily focused on the efficiency of bringing new resources into the organization.
|May focus on financial performance, project delivery, client satisfaction, and more.
|Typically a short-term metric, as it measures the time it takes to get a new resource up to speed.
|Can be both short-term and long-term, depending on the specific metric (e.g., project profitability may be long-term).
How Resource Onboarding Time is Used?
Resource onboarding time is a critical metric in PSA for:
1. Project Planning: Knowing how long it takes to onboard resources can help in project scheduling and setting client expectations.
2. Resource Allocation: Efficient onboarding can ensure that resources are available when needed, aiding in resource allocation and forecasting.
3. Continuous Improvement: By tracking onboarding time, organizations can identify bottlenecks and areas of improvement in their onboarding process.
Ready to Optimize Your Resource Onboarding Time?
KEBS, a leading PSA software, offers tools that can significantly reduce resource onboarding time. Automate routine tasks related to onboarding, ensuring that no steps are missed and the process is consistent. With KEBS, you can have training modules integrated, ensuring that resources have all the necessary information at their fingertips.
KEBS offers resource management tools that can help managers track the onboarding progress of new resources. KEBS can be integrated with other HR and IT systems, ensuring that new resources are set up on all necessary systems quickly.
Ready to optimize your resource onboarding time? Contact us today or request a demo to see KEBS in action.